Directory

Welcome... but you're not there yet...

You've found my old blog at BlogSpot. Starting in 2013, I've relocated to my own WordPress blog. Come check it out at http://www.mydeviantlife.com

Friday, September 17, 2010

All Good Things...

...must come to an end.  That's how the saying goes anyway.  But in this case, it hasn't been "good" for a long time... and it finally ended today.

For those unaware, I had been following the story of Luke and Noah on the soap "As the World Turns" for some time now... on and off over the last 2 years actually.  And today was the final episode for the show.  It's being pulled from the lineup after being on the air continuously since 1956.

Much like every soap opera, the general storylines tended to be extreme with crazy twists and turns... but it really was the only daytime drama to depict a gay couple on television. (If anyone knows of another, I'm looking for a new vice to fill the gap.) ;)  But despite it's bizarre plots and unbelievable situations, I followed along with Luke in his coming out story... all the way up through his first kiss and first boyfriend.

Beyond this point, there be spoilers... be forewarned :)


Recently, as many fans of the couple will attest to, the writers went off the deep end...even for a soap... and given the fact that the show was winding down it's stories (and has been for months), you would think they would at least bring happy endings to several pairings.  I'm sorry to say I don't think they did that with Luke and Noah... other fans may disagree... but I was looking for something more along the lines of them getting back together... but when it came down to it, they shipped Noah off to make a movie and Luke stayed behind to build a hospital wing.

Sure, they left it open to them getting back together... and shared a nice on-screen kiss goodbye... in the same place they first met and first kissed, which was a nice sentimental touch... but I really wish they would have either shipped Luke off with Noah... or kept Noah in town.  OR that they would have gotten them back together a couple weeks sooner and had more screen time with them at the end.

In any case... it's over now.  And while I'm sad that it is over... I'm also happy that at least a mainstream network kept a gay couple in the public's eye for so long... even with a lot of backlash from certain groups over the pairing.   I hope it's a sign of more to come.  Also a thanks to Van Hansis and Jake Silberman for portraying the characters of Luke and Noah respectively as best they could, given the material.

And rather than say goodbye... I'll say "Goodnight".

No comments: