Directory

Welcome... but you're not there yet...

You've found my old blog at BlogSpot. Starting in 2013, I've relocated to my own WordPress blog. Come check it out at http://www.mydeviantlife.com

Saturday, July 31, 2010

30 Days of Truth - Day 18: Your views on gay marriage

Well obviously this one is going to be written from a slightly slanted viewpoint... seeing as how I'm gay.  Therefore i should be for Gay Marriage right?  Well this may get me kicked out of the Pink Parade... but when the debate first came up, I was undecided.  I had a friend, Chuck, who said it didn't have to be marriage... a civil union was fine... so long as all the rights and privileges were still conveyed.  And because this was during my "wishy-washy" phase... I just agreed.

But now looking back... why can't we have gay marriage?  Why can't I have a ceremony just like anyone else instead of having just a set of legal laws to protect me?  And I know that some of you would say "if it's the same thing" but let me put this in front of you...

Two things... identical in design, quality, function... but one I'm not allowed to take advantage of.

Do you know what I'm talking about?  It's not gay marriage. It's restrooms during the civil rights era... one for whites... one for colored persons.  That's the direction gay marriage is heading.  One ceremony for straights... one legal structure for gays...  Do we REALLY want to take a step in that direction as a country?

No comments: